FW: Political Correctness (Was Re: Master/Slave)

Subject: FW: Political Correctness (Was Re: Master/Slave)
From: Aoidìn Scully <ascully -at- flexicom -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-l (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 17:05:44 +0100

*sigh* Once again, things have gotten far too serious on the list. And I
feel I must explain my quip about "white middle class males".

Most of the technological language we use today was made up by middle class
white males.

Therefore, middle class white males might be expected to be, shall we say, a
little bit less sensitive to any possible offense than other groups. For
example, if engineers were mostly female, than 'abort'(which is a resonant
word for a lot of women)might not have come into common usage.

Similarly, if "Fat, balding, impotent b*st*rd", for instance, was an
engineering term in common currency, would the same people be defending its
use and deriding "PC Crap"? Methinks not.

Aoidin
*donning protective armour*

And no, I'm not calling anyone names, I'm just trying to illustrate a point.
Although I am waiting for the inevitable writer to point out that "Fat,
balding, impotent b*st*rd" has been a term used for years in their
particular field...

---