RE: Political Correctness (Was Re: Master/Slave, but why stop the re?)

Subject: RE: Political Correctness (Was Re: Master/Slave, but why stop the re?)
From: "Humbird, LenX" <lenx -dot- humbird -at- intel -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 11:54:15 -0700

And what about the lowly period? We can't leave that one alone, no way. That
is potentially offensive to half the population of adults and teens out
there. The graphical nature of this punctuation is enough to cause emotional
distress. I find it troubling to even press that key...

In fact, we should abolish not only the period, but any offensive
punctuation:
: and ; (references to internal organs and surgical procedures)
, (because it sort of looks like a period)
/ and \ (for connotations to violent acts)
$ (for its connotation of the accumulation of wealth)
% (which can be used to compare the relative quantities of various ethnic
races)
! and # ("bang" and "pound" from the UNIX vocabulary. Obviously UNIX has
had a rough adolescence)

In addition to these horrid characters, I propose we clean up the entire
character set, starting with the removal of the following:
i and j (anything that is "dotted" and resembling a period)
All uppercase letters - which can be abused when used continuously - as in
shouting.
Any letters which can be used to spell nasty words: a c e f h i k l n p q s
t u

I hope I have not traumatized readers through this message. It is my desire
to produce documentation that is non-offensive to any person who may read
it. Have a politically correct day.