RE: Translating to Asian languages

Subject: RE: Translating to Asian languages
From: Alan Wood <alan -dot- wood -at- context -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "'Send mail to TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 09:39:21 +0100

Justin Cascio asked:

> I've downloaded the font packs from MS, got 'em installed,
> but still can't see them in my browser. How am I going to get
> source text in Japanese, Korean, and Chinese, put it in the
> HTML documents (much less the print docs), and know it's
> even there if I can't see it?
>
> Appreciate any tips on: a) troubleshooting font issues in all
> browsers, b) specific known issues with fonts in IE, c)
> typical source file types for Asian languages (I'm presuming
> I can't open them in Notepad, but maybe I'm wrong), d) tips
> on choosing a good translation service (this is my first
> time working with international localization of documents).

If you have installed Microsoft's CJK language packs (e.g. from Windows
Update on the Tools menu in IE 5), then you should be able too see Chinese,
Japanese and Korean text in IE and in Netscape. For information on setting
up browsers to use fonts, see:
http://www.hclrss.demon.co.uk/unicode/explorer.html
http://www.hclrss.demon.co.uk/unicode/netscape.html

You can find notes on multilingual HTML editors at:
http://www.hclrss.demon.co.uk/unicode/utilities_editors.html

Alan Wood
(Documentation Writer / Web Master)
Context Limited
(Electronic publishers of UK and EU legal and official documents)
mailto:alan -dot- wood -at- context -dot- co -dot- uk
http://www.context.co.uk/
http://www.alanwood.net/ (Unicode, special characters, pesticide names)