Stalking the wiley tech writer

Subject: Stalking the wiley tech writer
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 12:43:05 -0400

G'day all.

I doubt there's a functioning technical pubs department
out there that can spare anybody for this idea, either,
but... try this...

It seems to me that an enterprising journalism student
or anthropologist could find material for an article or
a series or a dissertation, if s/he were to follow a
writer or a writing project around for a while, and
record what actually happens.

Having said that, I'm now trying to dispell these
visions of somebody in a cammo suit, lurking in a
portable duck-blind, armed with a double-barrelled...
er... notepad. (Aah... aa-ah... AH-CHOO!... dammit,
doesn't anybody ever dust these fake plants?)
Or, perhaps, a-la Agent 38 (you have to be really
old to get that one), crouched in a filing-cabinet
or disguised as a water cooler.

The end-result, though, could be "a day in the life of",
for the company newsletter, or "Stalking the Wiley Tech
Writer" for the anthro undergrad paper, or ... justification
to the bosses for how it could possibly take that much
time to write X pages.

"It's not the writing, it's all that other crap... see?
Here's the video."

Where's Jane Goodall when we need her? Tech Writers in
the Mist. Gorrillas Among the Keyboards.

Hmm. Maybe Peter Benchley, instead.

/kevin