RE: Stalking the wiley tech writer

Subject: RE: Stalking the wiley tech writer
From: "walden miller" <wmiller -at- vidiom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 15:59:23 -0600

snip
> It seems to me that an enterprising journalism student
> or anthropologist could find material for an article or
> a series or a dissertation, if s/he were to follow a
> writer or a writing project around for a while, and
> record what actually happens.
snip

On the serious side, this has been done many times by academics. A friend
of mine is a tech writer and consultant. She wrote her PhD dissertation on a
three year anthropological study of an Iowa software company. The company
agreed to hire her for the length of the study. The study was useful to the
company in terms of its own understanding of process as well being
academically useful as a fine dissertation.