RE: An Engineer has infected my young mind!

Subject: RE: An Engineer has infected my young mind!
From: "Hager, Harry (US - East Brunswick)" <hhager -at- dc -dot- com>
To: "'Edwin Skau'" <eddy_skau -at- mailcity -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 05:51:52 -0700

Edwin Skau wrote:

>A reference manual is usually what accompanies a first release. Further
tutorials and user guides should be based on feedback
via an informative feedback form that goes with the reference
manual. If your information is based on actual user queries and
NOT ON YOUR PRESUMPTION, it will serve the end user better.<

Wow. More than 20 years in the tech writing business and now I find out that
I've been doing it wrong all this time. When I was busting my butt writing
all those user manuals and online help for First Customer Ships, how come
nobody on the project team ever told me that only the reference manual was
needed for the first release. I guess I'm just stupid. Well, what can you
expect; after all, I'm only a tech writer. <heavy sarcasm>

Jim Hager
Hhager -at- dc -dot- com