RE: Style convention question - fields, text boxes, etc.

Subject: RE: Style convention question - fields, text boxes, etc.
From: "MacLemale, Laura A. (LNG-MBC)" <Laura -dot- A -dot- MacLemale -at- bender -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 10:18:40 -0400

Hello,

Several of us are documenting software, and we want to clarify our naming
conventions. I briefly visited the archives, but I'm hoping someone might
offer a more direct reply.

That said, I'll try to describe our question(s) as clearly as possible.

The application window consists of a list/search pane, and two other panes
which display information but that the user does not actually act upon. In
one of the display panes, there are several "fields" that display
information but are not acted upon. (The programmers refer to them as "text
boxes" and the information in them as "values.")

In the documentation, how would you describe these areas of the application
window that contain values that the user does not actually change?

The first-draft writer calls them "fields," but that does not seem accurate.
We currently use "text box" to refer to the areas where the user will
actually be entering information, so that term does not seem accurate
either.

(Also, do any of you have strong preferences for "text box" or "field" for
screen areas where users add information?)

Please reply to me directly (or copy me) at Laura -dot- A -dot- MacLemale -at- bender -dot- com, as
I receive the digest.

We are a young department and are attempting to set our standards and style
conventions. Any help you could offer will be appreciated!

TIA,

Laura A. MacLemale
Technical Communications Coordinator
Matthew Bender, part of LEXIS Publishing
1275 Broadway
Albany, NY 12204
Phone (518) 487-3465
Fax (518) 487-3681
Laura -dot- A -dot- MacLemale -at- bender -dot- com