Re: Stalking the wiley tech writer

Subject: Re: Stalking the wiley tech writer
From: Tara -dot- Barber -at- galegroup -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 11:30:10 -0400

>For example, I find that I've often had good
>results from the geeks from saying, "I'm the
>one who asks the dumb questions for everyone else."

*chuckle* I'll have to remember that one. In my experience, programmers
and developers are like anyone else; they generally have a sense of humor,
and respond well if you can figure out a gently humorous approach.

Nor do you have to make yourself the entire butt of the joke ... but it
requires a deft touch.

In my current job, one of the project managers I have to work with is a
six-foot-six giant with the pelt of a black bear and a bite to match. He
has little time, period ... and even less for those he considers foolish
and technically ignorant.

When I first approached him for some information, he leaned back, sipping a
huge mug of coffee, gave me a glacial stare, and rumbled "So you're the new
tech writer, huh? Know anything about computers?"

Now, I've been writing about them for twelve years, but I smiled sweetly at
him and said "No. I know nothing about computers. As a matter of fact, I
firmly believe that there are pixies in back of the screen who paint on the
glass REALLY fast!" Then, batting my eyelashes, I added "And I understand
that you're the pixie master."

After he finished snorting coffee out his nose and roaring with helpless
laughter, he was more than ready to help me, and has been an invaluable
resource ever since.

Now, I don't recommend this technique to everyone, and it doesn't work on
everyone. But I've seldom gone wrong treating all the people I work with
as fellow professionals, just trying to get the job done. And for me, a
touch of friendly humor helps a lot.

- Tara Barber