RE: them engineers

Subject: RE: them engineers
From: "Higgins, Lisa" <LHiggins -at- carrieraccess -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 16:30:23 -0600

Giordano, Connie:
> Team player, yes; water boy or girl, no.

I agree completely. And I think this has more to do with the company you're
working for than anything, which may explain the variety of opinions.

I've been in places where I felt that I had to be a little secretive about
my typing speed (which is fast, furious, and error-ridden, for the record).
But I also worked at a company where I didn't hesitate to run out and get
someone a cup of coffee or, in one case, get some cash out of the ATM for
one of the engineers (Yep, he gave me his PIN. Heh heh!)

Most jobs are somewhere in between that, but I expect that some of the more
vehement arguments on either side are coming from the ends of that spectrum.

I won't speak for anyone else here, but I like to be busy and get things
done. If that means that during a slow time, I'll help out someone who's
really frantic, I genuinely want to be able to do that. The problem arises
when I'm in an environment where there's enough politics, sexism (we are not
making this up), or just plain nastiness to twist those little good deeds
around and turn them into a condemnation, or worse, a job description.

Lisa.