FW: Stuck on a Term

Subject: FW: Stuck on a Term
From: "EXT-Hornoi-Centerwall, Theodore" <Theodore -dot- Hornoi-Centerwall -at- PSS -dot- Boeing -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 07:09:22 -0700

I understood Carol Anne to say:

> My mind is drawing a blank. I need help with a term.
>
> There are two fields (DAYTIME TELEPHONE and E-MAIL ADDRESS) and at least
> one of those fields must be completed. The user may decide which field to
> complete. The fields are not required fields, they are ___________
> fields. Conditional? Dependent? Co-dependent? (grasping at straws)

The phrases that come to mind are "alternatively required" or "one-or-both required". There is also "and/or", which may be enough if you are stating on a form that one or the other or both of the fields need to be entered. Unless there is a need for a single-word term definition, in a glossary for example, the workarounds I am suggesting may be sufficient. Is there a need for such a definition? That is a question only you can answer.

My 0.02 ...

Ted Hornoi-Centerwall
Technical Writer
Cotelligent
Theodore -dot- Hornoi-Centerwall -at- PSS -dot- Boeing -dot- com

The opinions I express here are mine, and do not represent those of my employer, my colleagues, or those with whom I associate.