Re: them engineers

Subject: Re: them engineers
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 12:30:14 -0700

"Edwin Skau" <eddy_skau -at- mailcity -dot- com> wrote:

>Respect cannot be one of the terms of employment. It has to be a personal achievement. Remember >that you must be respected as an individual first, and then let that spill over into your >profession.

Well-said. When I was a university instructor, my mother-in-law
was shocked that I would encourage students to call me by my
first name. I told her that if I couldn't win their respect by my
behaviour, then I couldn't do it by insisting on the trappings of
respect, either.

Personally, after dealing with first year university and college
students, I don't find engineers very hard (come to think of it,
they're often the same people these days).

"Speak softly and carry a big stick" always seems a good idea. Be
cooperative and friendly at first, then get more insistent if
necessary.

I prefer not to make official complaints about people, but I
have:

- blockaded a cubicle entrance until I got my answers (this works
with doctors on their hospital rounds, too, by the way, if you
need to find out about a family member's condition).

- circulated review copies with "this section incomplete courtesy
of [programmer's name]."

However, these are extreme cases. In most cases, showing an
intelligent interest in learning is usually enough to get
cooperation. I doubt there's a geek or a non-geek alive who can't
be rendered helpful by asking them to talk about what they're
doing.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
"The Open Road" column, Maximum Linux