RE: Robohelp Crashes

Subject: RE: Robohelp Crashes
From: "Guru Kamath" <guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 10:43:03 +0530

Hello Eric,

The crash that you mention is very common in RoboHelp. For all its award
winning status -- this is a common problem with RoboHelp. Since you have
tried all the routes, one does not know how to help. One more common problem
with RoboHelp -- right from Version 3.0 -- is that it does not integrate
well with the Word versions and templates. I have had to re-install Word and
RoboHelp several times. In one case, I had to re-install Windows and then
RoboHelp (5.0, if I remember correctly) worked. The kernel32.dll is a
common problem. I have seen it several times -- though I have not been able
to figure out the reason for it. Perhaps, the kernel32.dll problem has got
more to do with Word than with RoboHelp. (In other words, in RoboHelp HTML
this should not happen.)

Coming to RoboHelp HTML -- I have worked on it for a short while and have
not faced such problems. I think RoboHelp HTML is quite clean as we do not
have Word in it! I could not get it to work on Word 97 -- with Word 2000 it
worked fine! According to documentation -- it is supposed to work well with
both!

One major observation on this product is that the COMPATIBILITY seems to be
a major issue. I do feel that it is best to have the latest versions of all
the components -- say Windows 2000, Word 2000, and RoboHelp 2000 and
RoboHTML 2000.

I must dare to mention here that I have lost thousands of dollars due to the
version problem that I mention and other such inconguences. As you rightly
say -- perhaps, one may have to look towards ForeHelp or other tools. But
so far, I have loyally stuck to RoboHelp. Thinking, a known devil is better
than an unknown one.

Hope your problem gets solved soon.

Guru
guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in
(who writes this in the spirit that an old patient is better than a new
doctor!)