Web served file locking

Subject: Web served file locking
From: Mark Dempsey <dempseys3 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L, a list for all technical communication issues" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 10:00:09 -0700

I'm looking for some pretty basic technology to check word docs in and
out from a web page. By "check in and out" I mean rudimentary doc
control, so one developer can't work on docs another has checked out.

Ideally this software, or applet would do the following:

1. Lock files while developers download files (check them out), so work
on these files is always sequential, not simultaneous.

2. Give some (web page) indication of who's got the file.

3. Let developers upload the finished file to the server, undoing the
lock, and making the file available to others.

Any suggestions. We don't want to reinvent the wheel here.

Thanks...