RE: Wanted: Free-lance Rates

Subject: RE: Wanted: Free-lance Rates
From: "Guru Kamath" <guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 23:35:49 +0530

Hello Jeremiah,

Telecommuting is a great option because you can hunt for talent (and price)
from outside your range. What I liked about your idea is the fact that you
will co-ordinate and maintain the project. This is vital. The last mile
necessarily has to be done by you -- the local guy.

Freelance rates vary from $25 to $45 per hour. This goes up to $60-70-90
etc in case of highly experience professionals or complex projects. My own
guess is that $25 is a good average rate. BTW, I picked up this figure (and
rounded it) from http://www.computerjobs.com.

BTW, according to me, freelance rates and average salary rates should be the
same. Meaning, if you earn $4000 per month in a job -- you should earn at
least $4000 as a freelancer too. Similarly, if you are willing to pay
someone $4000 as a salary -- if you hire a freelancer you can pay the same
amount of $4000 (i.e. 25 dollars an hour for 160 hours of work). This is my
take on freelance rates.

Best wishes and greetings from India.

Guru
guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in