RE: hyphen or en-dash?

Subject: RE: hyphen or en-dash?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 10:27:25 -0700

"Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- uswest -dot- net> wrote:

>There is an excellent book that covers the use of em- vs. en-dash vs.
>hyphen. The book is called "The PC is not a Typewriter" (possibly "Your
>PC...").

Both books are by Robin Williams. The same information is also
given in her "the Non-Designer's Type Book."

>Almost every style guide I've seen has said that neither em- nor en-dashes
>should surrounded by spaces, but I've seen it both ways.

British publications sometimes use an en dash surrounded by
spaces as an alternative to an em dash. Typesetters who follow
this practice do so on the grounds that an em dash looks sloppy.
I agree, so I've adopted the practice.

>I can't wait to read the Saffire article. I've noticed my own writing hashed
>with lots of em-dashes, especially e-mails.

From the description of the article, it sounds as though Saffire
disapproved of the widespread use of em dashes. If so, it might
set his conservative soul at ease to remember that em dashes were
even more frequent in 17th and 18th century prose than today.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
"The Open Road" column, Maximum Linux

"Well, ah fare you well, and it's Ushant slams the door on us,
whirling like a windmill through the dirty scud to lee,
Till the last, last flicker goes from the tumbling water rows.
We're off to Mother Carey (walk her round to Mother Carey),
We're bound for Mother Carey where she feeds her chicks at sea!"
-Rudyard Kipling, "Anchor Song"