Re: Command Line Interfaces

Subject: Re: Command Line Interfaces
From: "Patricia Jackson" <patrj -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 19:22:52 -0400

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the "command line interface"
described below would come from a Unix script or DOS batch file. A
*command* would be a single word (can be just a couple of characters) with
option flags and parameters and no "interface." For example, the Unix
command to list the files and directories in a directory would look
something like this:

ls -l
where ls is the command to *list* the files and -l is an option flag to list
the long version. In DOS the command would be

dir

Personally, I find commands much more flexible, less time consuming and more
fun than GUI. They're actually very easy once you understand the syntax.

I document both GUI and commands. I don't enjoy the GUI documentation as
much as the command documentation. Somehow it seems more worth writing
about since GUI is somewhat intuitive and I don't like saying or typing
things that seem obvious. Nevertheless some users seem to need it.