Re: working with other writers

Subject: Re: working with other writers
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 12:07:44 -0700 (PDT)

> > I'm used to working alone, and now I find working with other
> writers
> > challenging. What works? What doesn't? How do you deal with
> > "territory"?
>
> I think that working with other writers is always a challenge.
> Not only is a lot of unattended ego (including mine) likely to
> be
> flying around, but also a lot of frustrated ego.

Most people have an opinion of their abilities that are
different from reality. They usualy think they are better than
they really are (as opposed to me, who is waiting for my
employers to realize that I'm making this up as I'm going
along). Therefore, working with ANY peers when the output is
from the mind is going to be touchy because they are never as
good as you think you are.

However, I take excepton to the statement that

> a large proportion of the
> tech-writers I've met would rather be journalists or fiction
> writers. In their own minds they've settled for tech-writing,
> and
> they chafe at the barely submerged feeling that they're
> failures.

Maybe there are tech writers who would rather be writing the
Great American Novel, but there are auto assembly line workers
who would like to be writing the same thing. For my part, I'm
doing exactly what I want to do..now, maybe not WHERE I'd like
to be doing it...my preference would be on the beach of some
Caribean country.

To the openning statement...WHAT do you find challenging about
it? What I find challenging is that my humor can be sarcastic
and sometimes bends people the wrong way...I don't think you
meant this...then maybe you did.

=====
John Posada
jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com
john -at- tdandw -dot- com
732-291-7811
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

http://im.yahoo.com/