Re: (No Subject)

Subject: Re: (No Subject)
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 12:28:15 -0700 (PDT)

In article ORG -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, kittenbreath -at- hotbot -dot- com ("Sierra Godfrey") writes:

>A particularly gung-ho (and extremely irritating) marketing chick has
asked me for a draft of my current manual so she can use the
information for her data sheet on the product. Nevermind that this is a
slimy way of getting out of doing her own research. I'm not getting in
that with her. > >The problem: >She wants me to send her an
electronic copy of my manual, presumably so she can cut and paste
(again a stupid idea). She doesn't have Framemaker. How do I export a
Frame document to Word? Or simple text? Every time I tried, it
crashed.

If she wants it for research and not for cut-and-paste, I'd
suggest converting it in Frame to PDF, which should be much
easier than exporting to Word.

>And importantly, do the rest of you hand out electronic copies to
people (for editing or whatnot)? Do you retain strict control over
drafts? Many people here have asked me for drafts--legitimate requests
from TFS people.

This seems like a legitimate request to me. The only time
I'd recommend being protective of drafts is when localization
wants to see early drafts and swears they won't start to
translate them :->

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html