Re: Tech Writing In Montreal

Subject: Re: Tech Writing In Montreal
From: Kandis Weiner <kandis -at- toonboom -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 08:36:20 -0400

Bob Goulder wrote:

I have been offered a long term contract position in Montreal. I would
like opinions on what it is like to exist there.

Bob -

Montreal is a great city. I'm an ex-pat, living here since 1989. I gotta
tell ya - Montreal is my favorite city in North America.

It's beautiful, it's vibrant, it's cheap to live in (relative to other
North American cities). It's a diverse city in every way - which means
that there is always fun to be had and good restos to eat in.

Little Italy, China town, large Jewish, Latin American and Portuguese
communities. St-Viateur bagels, smoked meat, poutine(!), European pastry
stores and crepe restaurants.

Jazz fest, weird movie fests, comedy fests - during the summer, there is
a festival every weekend!

Outside cafes. Terraces for outside dining and boozing. Galleries,
playhouses, symphonies, night clubs...

It's got a mountain (ok - it's a small mountain) in the middle of it, so
you can always take a walk up one of the secluded paths if city life is
getting you down. And it is not far from the country if you really want
to escape.

I've never experienced any trouble because of the French/English thing.
Politics is rife with morons who like to stir up controversy to keep
their jobs secure (on all sides). Quebec is no different from the rest
of the world. (Of course it does help if you make the effort to learn
conversational French so you can chat with your neighbors, make more
friends...)

The winters can be a bit of a drag, but they never last as long as you
think. And something happens here come spring time - people blossom as
much as the flowers, trees and grass. The city has a special feel to
it...

In case I've been less than obvious - I think it's entirely possible
that you will like it here. Ok - maybe not as much as I do - but I'm a
bit of a fanatic.

There is a Montreal technical writing list that is sponsored by onelist
(Onelist.com). You can check it out and post your query there for more
specific questions. You're also free to contact me off line if ya like.

Good Luck!

--
Kandis Weiner
kandis -at- toonboom -dot- com