RE: Use of ALT in web pages

Subject: RE: Use of ALT in web pages
From: "Sherman, Bryan" <BSherman -at- synchrony -dot- net>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 09:28:10 -0400

A Good resource for this type of information is:
http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/

It deals with web Accessibility. The following is an excerpt:

1.1 Provide a text equivalent for every non-text element (e.g., via "alt",
"longdesc", or in element content). This includes: images, graphical
representations of text (including symbols), image map regions, animations
(e.g., animated GIFs), applets and programmatic objects, ascii art, frames,
scripts, images used as list bullets, spacers, graphical buttons, sounds
(played with or without user interaction), stand-alone audio files, audio
tracks of video, and video. [Priority 1]

For example, in HTML:
Use "alt" for the IMG, INPUT, and APPLET elements, or provide a text
equivalent in the content of the OBJECT and APPLET elements.
For complex content (e.g., a chart) where the "alt" text does not provide a
complete text equivalent, provide an additional description using, for
example, "longdesc" with IMG or FRAME, a link inside an OBJECT element, or a
description link.

For image maps, either use the "alt" attribute with AREA, or use the MAP
element with A elements (and other text) as content.