Re: Orlando Conference and Exhibits (ramble)

Subject: Re: Orlando Conference and Exhibits (ramble)
From: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 03:48:18 -0700

Marilynne Smith (marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com) wrote:

(*snip*)

> I would advise all speakers to use a mike. Even those whose voices
project
> well, still can't be heard from the back. When a speaker announces
he or
> she will not be using the mike because they speak loud enough, I
> groan. About 3/4 of these people do not speak loudly.

I really hate it when a speaker *with* a mike takes questions from
someone in the front row who whispers and then just answers the
question -- without repeating the question for the benefit of everyone
outside of the vicinity of the whispering questioner.

During our (Seattle's) big WTO event, I had the pleasure of
transcribing the WTO press conferences from audio tape. Question and
answer time came: couldn't hear a single question. In those
instances, the transcript read like so:

AUDIENCE MEMBER: (Indecipherable)
SPEAKER: No. Next question?

Note that the "indecipherable" part was a very long question in most
instances.

Something to keep in mind during your presentations!

--gdw