FrameMaker and Databases

Subject: FrameMaker and Databases
From: "Peter Lucas" <peterlucas -at- mediaone -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 08:33:44 -0700

Is there any way to have FrameMaker connect to live data in a database using
ODBC and then display that data in a table? I'm using FrameMaker 5.5.6 on a
Win 98 machine. I need to connect to a Sybase SQL Anywhere database and
display information from the database's tables for a Field Definitions
Manual.

Does this require expensive accompanying software or are there simple
plug-ins available? I only need to display six fields from each table, so my
requirements are pretty simple. Currently, I use MS Query to export that
data from each table as a delimited text file and then I import it into
FrameMaker where it becomes a linked text inset. However, every time the
data changes, I have to re-export the data. Kind of a pain considering we
have hundreds of tables in our database.

Thanks!

Peter Lucas
Decade Software Company