Other Clients from Hell

Subject: Other Clients from Hell
From: Scottie Lover <iluvscotties -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 09:40:06 -0400

I once worked for a major department store which was the victim of a hostile takeover
(read VERY hostile; this was a Jewish company taken over by anti-Semites). The new owners wanted to have the company publicly traded, and then sell it for a hefty profit. Accordingly, their only goals were VERY short-term.

Apart from the quality of employees hired because of their race and religion, these people were promised *HUGE* bonuses if they delivered certain systems by specific dates. Never mind if it crashed the following morning -- all that was needed was delivery by a certain time. Developers were specifically told that "We don't have time to test", and it was made abundantly clear that the only goal was that of implementing certain systems by a given date.

Most of these developers were consultants. There was one tech writer, a very nice, bright guy fresh out of college who knew nothing about computers and had never written anything before.

Just in case I ever again find myself in this situation, what would you do if you were
a consultant specifically directed to do things you knew were totally wrong? In other words, would you knowingly sabotage a system just to ensure that your boss would get his humungous bonus? Would you leave? Would you insist upon some modicum of professionalism?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

"Scottie"
(The Scottish Terrier Lover)