Re: RoboHelp vs. ForeHelp

Subject: Re: RoboHelp vs. ForeHelp
From: Tom Huffman <tlhuffman -at- earthlink -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 16:43:04 -0400

Tony:

Both are good tools. RoboHelp has somewhat more power (easy insertion or
pre-defined DHTML effects, RH 2000 WinHelp that gives a tri-pane view similar to
HTML Help, Glossary and Favorites tabs in HTML Help, transparent access to HTML
source, and a boodle of useful accessories), but ForeHelp is cheaper, a smaller
installation, and somewhat more flexible (imports FrameMaker MIF files and
allows for considerable customization of of the cross-platform WebHelp
appearance).

I'm not sure either is a good choice for single-sourcing. Though both will
generate manuals, it's just the same content formatted in a linear,
print-appropriate fashion. I'm not a fan of single-sourcing, though. Help files
and manuals are just too different to make single-sourcing wise, IMO. Tools like
Quadralay WebWorks (FrameMaker) and Doc-To-Help (Word) are better for
single-sourcing, but neither are as powerful, flexible, or as easy to use purely
as HATs as either RoboHelp or ForeHelp. So, it's a trade-off.

If you are committed to single-sourcing, you should get a tool especially
designed for that purpose. If you are primarily interested in a HAT tool or are
not committed to single-sourcing, then either RoboHelp or ForeHelp would be a
good choice.

*******