SUMMARY: how to bill client for short-term project?

Subject: SUMMARY: how to bill client for short-term project?
From: Maryann Short <maryannshort -at- juno -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 18:35:05 -0700

Thanks, everybody, for your input.
The overwhelming consensus was to get an advance of 25% to 50% of the
estimated total cost, and don't do any work (or, at least, any more than
I've done) until I get the money.
Since the client is in Europe and I'm in the US, I wondered how I'd get
the money.
Many people emphasized that I should insist on US dollars in the
contract. Suggestions for ways to get the advance to me ranged from
direct deposit to my account, a wire transfer to my account (which I'd
have to pay for or charge the clent for), airmail, deposit at some
international financial institution such as Citibank, or via one of the
overnite express services.
Elna Tymes was her usual wise and helpful self and gave me a brief
description of how she manages short-term projects. Brandon Hock also
offered some details on handling a project like this. He suggested one
thing that no one else did and I never would have thought of: get a
purchase order number or the like so the client's financial department
has a way to track payments/invoices in the event my contact at the
company disappears.
Maryann
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.