Word Hell

Subject: Word Hell
From: Michele Davis <mdavis -at- bitstream -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 11:31:14 -0500

OK, I posted a couple days ago. Here is what I have:

separate files, 50+ of them. Creating an index and then using the {RD}
command to link all the indexes to one another. I want to use
Insert|Page Numbers, to insert chapter and page numbers in my footers.

Yet when I do use that function, I do not get the chapter number
displayed in my footer. If its chapter 18, I still get 1-1, 1-2, etc. I
designated Chapter 18 as a field code, and selected use Heading 1 in the
Insert|Page Numbers dialog.

This what people have said:

Bonnie Granat was very helpful, yet did not solve my problem. She was
able to make the chapter number display, but not the page number. Argh!

<snip from Bonnie>You are very cleverly using the Properties sheet and
the Title field to
supply the chapter number. However, you are not using the automatic
numbering feature of Word that is tied to Heading 1-9. You are using a
different field. All you have to do is paste that field from the
chapter
title into the footers of the first page, one odd page, and one even
page.
If you do that for all the stand-alone chapters, you'll be back in
business.

I don't think it's possible to mix text and numbers when you use that
feature
in Word. <end snip>

Renee La Plume, was most helpful as well, she suggested that I include
this command on the first page of each document: {SEQ Chapter \h \r18
\Title\ * Merge Format}

However, when I follow Renee's advice, this is what happens when I try
to use my Insert|Page Numbers:

<snip, MS error>"there is no chapter number to include in the page
number. to apply character numbers use bullets and numbering command and
select a multi-level list style that is linked to the heading
styles."<end snip>

BUT I've already designated, multi-level styles.

I think I am losing my mind, and my client is panting down my back.

Can anyone help me???? Please???? All you brilliant lurkers out there
that use Word, I need HELP!!!!

ugh, i wish i could just work in HTML: www2.bitstream.net/~mdavis