RE: ergonomic TOCs (was RE: STC Annual Conference trip reports?)

Subject: RE: ergonomic TOCs (was RE: STC Annual Conference trip reports?)
From: "Jessica N. Lange" <jlange -at- oee -dot- com>
To: "TechWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 16:43:35 -0400

And Megan wrote:
> It seems to me that the reason it's theoretically better to have the links
> on the right side is because the scrollbar is on the right.
><snip>
> Of course, my brain finds a page to be out of balance if the links are all
> on the right instead of on the left.

That holds true for us Westerners, who read left to right.
Wonder how such TOCs are handled in the right-to-left or
top-to-bottom parts of the world?

Also, don't forget...a TOC on the left will *always* be seen,
regardless of the size of the user's browser window.
A TOC on the right might not be visible, depending on how
the page was designed, of course. Even though the
horizontal scroll bar indicates content is hidden to the
right, some users may not realize that, or simply don't
bother to scroll.

My 2 cents.
Jessica