Re: techwr-l digest: June 13, 2000

Subject: Re: techwr-l digest: June 13, 2000
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 08:55:36 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, guys...this subject of questions to ask a tech writer.

The problem with some question is that question such as below are they
make it too easy to bluff...OK, lie.

As soon as I'm asked subjective questions, the answer becomes cutomized to
who I'm answering it to.

> Describe the last three products/systems/projects you
> documented.

API manual

Describe the audience.
1,000 programmers, developers, and technical support, worldwide

What was the delivery
> format?
PDF, HTML, and Printed

How long did each project take?
9 1/2 weeks

How many pages
457 pages plus Quickstart

> were your direct responsibility for each project?
yes

> manage any other writers or contractors?
2 other writer, and 2 contractors

How long did each
> project take? Did you complete your part of these

etc.

I was accused of making my questions too easy. Maybe for some of
us...however, how much internet real estate was taken up by us alone on
the subject of serial comma.

My intention of the questions I posed was more than if you know how to
apply a comma...which is why I proposed the answer "either, as long as you
do it consistantly." Isn't this one of the major tricks on this biz? On
the amnswer of the books. Don't you want someone who is used to asking for
information and looking up information if they don't know it?

My contention is that you must gain subjective information from objective
questions.

=====
John Posada
jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com
john -at- tdandw -dot- com
732-291-7811
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com