Re: Tech Writer screening questions

Subject: Re: Tech Writer screening questions
From: "Dan Roberts" <droberts63 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 21:24:04 -0400

I've go for most of Susan Brown's statements, but ....

>My base set of questions was:
>8) Hobbies, outside interests . . . . . . .

I'm not quite sure how my interest in bonsai and PWA advocacy reflect my skill
as a TW. Or are you just looking to make sure the person has a 'life' off the
computer?

>(Resumes and cover letters with spelling
>mistakes, grammatical errors, etc get a quick 'thanks, but no thanks'. I
>mean, Mercy, if the candidate can't even bother to proofread their resume .. .
. .)
Well, generally pretty true, tho we all tend to agree that a writer *can* become
blind to their own work. Otherwise, what's an editor to do? {Tho, to be fair,
there is the question of quantity, degree, and the whole
prescriptive/descriptive argument <i advocate cereal commas, will split compound
verbal phrases at the drop of a hat if I think my users need a comma, and am
quite willing to introduce a bulleted list with a less-than-independent clause-
is that 'bad' or just 'different'>.

Anyway, my opinion and $0.50 will get you a morning coffee.