Re: initial caps in steps and bulleted lists

Subject: Re: initial caps in steps and bulleted lists
From: "Dan Roberts" <droberts63 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 22:46:29 -0400

Just to be an annoyance,

-----Original Message-----
>Laurie Little wrote:
>> The writer uses a partial sentence to introduce a list, then treats each
>> bullet/step as a continuance of this sentence; i.e. each starts with
>> lowercase.

>And Dick Margulis responds:
>Third, I insist that all items in a given list be complete sentences and
>end with a period or be fragments and end without a period. No mixing
>allowed.

So are imperative sentences with an understood subject (eg, "Do this or risk
utter annihilation.") viewed as "complete sentences?"
From your example response
>To do ..., you should
>* Do this, then do that; if you do the other thing, ...
imperative sentences with an understood subject are, indeed, complete sentences.
But I have been in Big Blue companies where "Do this" was *not* a complete
sentense.

So, it never hurts to ask.