RE: winhelp or html help?

Subject: RE: winhelp or html help?
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'Linda McCulloch-Smith'" <LindaM -dot- Smith -at- accumap -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 11:00:21 -0400

Linda,

There are some pro's and con's to each:

Is your application residing on a server or on the workstation? The reason
I ask is that if it's residing on the server, you cannot use .chm
files--everytime a user accesses help, they will get a "do you want to
download" dialog. Pain in the next for browser-based applications residing
on a web server.

However, if it's on the server, you can generate a Webhelp output directory,
and you won't have to worry about what DLL or OCX files the workstation has.

If the app is on the workstation, just make sure the installation routines
provide the appropriate system files, and they won't get the error. The
specifics are in the Robohelp documentation.

Hope this helps a little

Connie Giordano