RE: movie ad

Subject: RE: movie ad
From: Janet Valade <janetv -at- systech -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 12:41:35 -0700

<<I agree and I disagree. Yes, I think many people have gadgets
they don't
> need (PDAs, SUVs, cell phones) which are tied to conspicuous
> consumption.>>

What do you mean by conspicuous consumption? Do you mean buying
things to impress the Jones's? I don't think that is the only reason people
buy things they don't need. What about FUN? Do we need our TV's? Or VCR's?
Or tickets to the Laker games? C'mon now, be honest. Or do we buy them to
impress our neighbors? Nah. They are for FUN. I think electronic toys are
great FUN. So, I don't think I need to justify everything I buy in terms of
time saved or money saved. I think I am entitled to buy it just because I
want it. (If I was spending the rent money for it, that might be different.)
I would think that most tech writers are the kind of people who love
electronic toys.

Janet

Janet Valade
Technical Writer