Re: Incorporated: Information Needed

Subject: Re: Incorporated: Information Needed
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 07:51:25 -0400

Mike Stockman wrote:

> On 6/15/00 10:01 PM, Peter (pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com) wrote:
>
> >While a sole proprietorship is the easiest, you do not get
> >any liability insulation. This is not a BS point. People today sue at
> >the drop of a hat. There are several entities that can give you
> >insulation from liabilities.
>
> Out of genuine curiosity, does anyone out there know of a contract tech.
> writer being sued about a project? I don't doubt it can happen, I've just
> never heard of anyone in my circles facing a lawsuit for documentation.
>
> I just came off of many years as a freelancer with no corporate
> protection, and I'm wondering just what kind of risk I was open to
> without knowing it...

In short, While rare, I have seen it. A software designer paid me some
big bucks to defend a suit claiming that the designer did such a poor
job that business suffered. We won, but what if we didn't. Please note
that I do not practice anymore. 30 years was enough.

--
Peter

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a
minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute-and it's
longer than any hour. That's relativity," - Einstein-