Re: Incorporated: Information Needed

Subject: Re: Incorporated: Information Needed
From: "Suzanne Topping" <stopping -at- rochester -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "techwr" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 11:24:25 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michele Davis" <mdavis -at- bitstream -dot- net>

> I'm a sole proprietorship and my accountant said that the only reason to
> incorporate would be to save on FICA. However, a friend of mine said that
he's
> spoken with several lawyers who believe that incorporating would alleviate
the
> problem of pissing off someone, being sued and losing your assets. Good
point I
> think. I went sole because I had no assets when I was 25, but 10 years
later,
> well, I've accumulated stuff and now for me may be the time to look into
> incorporation.

I've been working under a sole proprietorship for about 1 1/2 years, and
have recently incorporated to start a separate business. Having done both, I
have one word of warning: incorporation is expensive and complicated. Being
a DBA is simple and cheap. And if you decide to incorporate, be careful
which kind you choose because personal liability levels vary depending on
the type of corporation you form.