825 and 925

Subject: 825 and 925
From: rickk -at- slmd -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:11:59 -0700

All my techwriting jobs so far have had a workday of 8 AM to 5 PM, with an
hour allowed for lunch. This adds up to a standard 40 hour work week when
you subtract the 5 lunch hours. Recently I interviewed for a tech writing
job where the workday is 9 AM to 5 PM. This revives a confusion I felt when
the Dolly Parton song (and movie) "9 to 5" came out: How does a 9-to-5
workday translate into a 40 hour work week if employees eat lunch?

Can any of you 9-to-5ivers out there explain this to me? Are you not
allowed to eat lunch? Do you eat at your desks while working? Or does your
company count your lunch as part of your working time? (If the latter is
the case, then does this mean that 9-to-5 jobs are really 35 hour a week
jobs masquerading as 40 hour a week jobs? How could such a significant
difference between otherwise similar (and similar paying) jobs go
unremarked in our culture. -- I, at least, have never seen the difference
pointed out before.)

Extra brownie points if you "get" my subject line. ;-)