RE: Imperatives or not?

Subject: RE: Imperatives or not?
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- intl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 17:20:01 -0600

I prefer using gerunds in headings because I hate having nonparallelism in
my TOCs. If you use gerunds for headings of sections containing tasks,
they'll be syntactically parallel to headings of the same level (say, for
overview or reference information) that also use noun phrases. If you use an
imperative verb, you get nonparallel headings in your TOC (that is, noun
phrases mixed with verb phrases). The effect is the same if you use lists of
xrefs at the beginnings of chapters.

Bill Burns
Lionbridge Design & Development
Technology Consultant