RE: question about recruiters (plus a little venting)

Subject: RE: question about recruiters (plus a little venting)
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 15:56:04 +0100

>My question: does anyone have some savvy ways to deal with recruiters. I am
>biting my lip from becoming rude with some of them - simply because I am
not
>used to dealing with them. How do you convey to them that you are *only*
looking
>for a certain salary range and you are *only* looking for full-time?

Ask them, right away. Say (politely) "I have to ask a couple of questions -
I do this to everyone. Can I confirm with you that this is a full time job,
not a contract job? You'll be aware from my resume that I'm not able to
accept contract jobs." (If they hesitate, fumble, say they're not sure,
invite them to check and then call you back when they ARE sure.) Then: "I'm
sure you noticed my salary range on my resume. Can I confirm with you what
the salary range is for this job?" (Again, if they hesitate or prevaricate,
invite them to check and then call you back with figures.

>Forgive my rant - but I do feel better. ;-)

Good. :-) And if they hassle you about contracting, just keep telling them
no and asking them if they have any full time jobs available. Don't try to
justify yourself. You don't need to. Let them run themselves breathless and
just say no. <g>

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Compaq, UK
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.