RE: Imperatives or not?

Subject: RE: Imperatives or not?
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 08:53:16 -0700 (PDT)

--- Christi Carew <ccarew -at- rangestar -dot- com> wrote:
> [...]

No, I wouldn't refuse any attempted proofing an SME tried to do. I've accepted
such input in the past.

What I am saying is that I don't submit my editorial decisions to people who
aren't qualified to collaborate in them. SMEs get to approve the technical
content, and that's where I want their focus to be. We can discuss the
editorial portion of the document, if they can convince me they're qualified to
take my time with it. (Mostly, they don't bother.)

However, editorial decisions are mine, not the SMEs. I think I'm wasting the
SME's time if I try to convince them that the tense, case, or punctuation I'm
using is more correct than what they are advocating. But I'm not going to waste
my time, or the SME's time, arguing about something that is both my area of
expertise and my job.

If that makes me an uncooperative curmudgeon, I can live with that.

=====
Tom Murrell
Senior Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems