Re: question about recruiters (plus a little venting)

Subject: Re: question about recruiters (plus a little venting)
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: SteveFJong -at- aol -dot- com, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:39:20 -0700 (PDT)

> >> As far as [proposing] a position with a skill that I don't
> have...Cool!
> >> How do you think I learn the stuff [I] do...by only accepting
> something
> >> I already know how to do? Take it...Grow! My primary interest is a
> >> position requiring a skill that I'm weakest with.
>
> John, just for fun, let's say you don't know Lotus Notes and want to
> learn
> it. I can see how, from your perspective, you'd go for a job for which
> Lotus
> Notes "is a must." But as a hiring manager, why would I even consider
> you?

Because my rate is currently $70/hr. but for the opportunity to learn
Notes, I'll take $50 per hour. Since I'll convince the person that my
profession RELIES on the ability to learn an application fast and would
apply that drive to learning Notes, they are, in effect, getting me on
sale and that once I learn the application, they will have a $70/hr
caliber writer at a $20/hr discount for the length of the contract.

Granted...they may not choose to take advantage of the offer, but if you
don't attempt it, the CAN'T take advantage of it. OTOH, with having been
in sales for over 15 years prior to writing, I can sell pretty well.

That's the way I first learned Frame and online help.

=====
John Posada
jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com
john -at- tdandw -dot- com