Re: being too picky?

Subject: Re: being too picky?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: beccap -at- rust -dot- net
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 14:47:15 -0700

Becca Price wrote:

> when people ask me whether I'm an expert in a given
> subject, I usually say "no, but I'm an expert at
> asking questions."
>
> I consider, as a technical writer, that one of my
> major strengths is that I know how to ask questions...
> and how to listen to the answers.
>
> I think I'm a third type of writer than the two that
> Bruce proposes.. I may not be an expert in subject x
> by the time I'm finished writing about it, but you
> couldn't always tell that by reading what I've
> written.
>
> What I *do* think I need to know is enough about the
> subject to be able to find the right structure for the
> information... how best to present it. After that, to
> me, the rest is just filling in the details. Whenever
> I have problems writing about something, I know it's
> because the proposed structure of the manual (or
> section, or paragraph) isn't right, doesn't accurately
> reflect the subject.

Not that I want to get hung up on categories (after all, I only
devised them just before I wrote), but it seems to me that you'd
fall into the second category. You've learned what you have to
learn, and the structure is a trick you have for determining what
else you need to learn.

Does that sound right?

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"And when I moved upon them down a byway,
Bathed and annointed, sweet with oil of rose,
They blanched, for they had left me on the highway
Covered with blood and with a broken nose."
- Roy Daniells, "Psalm 23"