Lead-in to software documentation?

Subject: Lead-in to software documentation?
From: Gunther Schmidt <g -dot- schmidt -at- bigfoot -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 21:22:29 +0200

I'm a technical writer in a German mechanical engineering company. A
new task contains a short software documentation which will be
printed. The software (which runs under Windows NT 4.0) is used to
control a video inspection system via keyboard and touchscreen.

Are there any web ressources for those who are new to software
documentation? I've heard of the Sun and Microsoft Style Guides and
the Chicago Manual of Style, but I assume that these are too detailed
for beginners. References on standards and some recommendations on how
to format the text for commands, messages, button descriptions, dialog
box entries etc. would be very helpful for me!

Regards,

Gunther Schmidt