Re: SI system A -- Ampere

Subject: Re: SI system A -- Ampere
From: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
To: Bernd Hutschenreuther <bernd -dot- hutschenreuther -at- net-linx -dot- de>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 19:07:43 -0400

At 04:40 PM 26/06/00 +0200, Bernd Hutschenreuther wrote:

Hi,

I have just a question, about how to write electrical units

Geoff Hart wrote

><<40 amp or 40 Amp>>

Do you not use the international standard system of units?
The SI system is an international agreed and standardized system. It is
used in many countries to make an end with the unit mismatch, at least on
technical area.

It's used in most countries -- the US is the notable exception.

I declare what I mean:

For electric current (ampere) the unit is A (neither Amp nor amp)

Here you would write

<<40 A>>

A is every times capitalized.
Everybody here in Germany and in many other countries would recognize it
without any difficulties.
Another example:
I = 40 mA (this is 40*1/1000 A)
I = 40 A (I is the sign for electric current)
To avoid misunderstanding it is important to use the correct unit.

I thought, A is international, now I see, the English speaking world does
not use it? Is this right?

Most (but not all) documentation written in Canada for non-US audiences uses the SI system. Oil and gas companies are kind of a mixed bag, even here.

I must revise my knowledge about units this way. :-(

I learned, that a space ship lost its route because of ambiguities in
measurement between several systems.

Never heard that one. But there was an instance a few years ago here in Canada where an airplane had to make an emergency landing because it ran out of fuel. The conversion from gallons to litres was done incorrectly.

Win

Win Day
Technical Writer

http://www.wordsplus.net