Re: HTML help: HTML editors

Subject: Re: HTML help: HTML editors
From: "Cheri E. Kelln" <tekgrrrl -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 14:48:55 -0500

Does anybody have a preference when it comes to good HTML editors? I have
used a few, but thought I would ask in relation to HTML Help. I was just
assigned the task of researching HTML editors today. We will probably be
using MS Help Workshop as well. I have no experience with HTML Help, so
forgive me if I am using incorrect terms. I have been stuck with print
manuals and a huge online help project for way too long. I feel like I am
behind.

Anyway, my manager mentioned something about MSDN compliance, but these
things are most important. Also, just in case it matters, we will be using
Perforce (don't know much about this either) to check the files in and out.

1. WYSIWYG interface that WILL NOT change tagging
2. Preview and true code views/interfaces
3. Spell checking
4. Quick formatting (e.g., bold, italic, underline, linking etc. buttons or
shortcuts)
5. Good diffing/compare feature
6. Pretty cheap/readily available

Also, is there a tool for both editing AND compiling? Do you always need an
editor and a compiler? Forgive my ignorance on this issue.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Cheri
tekgrrrl -at- yahoo -dot- com
cheri -dot- kelln -at- ni -dot- com

http://im.yahoo.com