Re: Recruiters (addendum)

Subject: Re: Recruiters (addendum)
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: mdavis -at- bitstream -dot- net, Techwrl-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 18:39:25 -0700 (PDT)

--- Michele Davis <mdavis -at- bitstream -dot- net> wrote:
> Andrew, I think you're misunderstanding me, the recruiter is digging in
> to my rate, not taking a cut ABOVE my rate. And yes, I believe I am
> worth X and I should get paid X. If a recruiter doesn't want to pay X
> then I won't work with said recruiter. It's as simple as that. I don't
> believe I should be making X + Y, JUST X.

Well, then this is a simple financial negotiation. The contracting agency is
not out to get you, they just can't afford your rate. The situation is simple,
lower your rate or walk away from the table. Getting mad and calling the agency
owner a "greedy pain in the ass" makes you sound really bitter.

> Isn't that the same issue that the person in Boston brought up? She
> wanted X but a recruitment firm told her she was out of line? Her rate
> was her rate, she just wanted X, not X + Y.

I hear a lot of writers saying: "I am worth X and won't take a job under X".

Well, whoop de frickin doo. I think I deserve to be Emperor of All that Lives
and Breathes.

Just because you think your worth X does not mean the markets will consistently
pay X. And just because you earned X once, does not mean you are ALWAYS worth
X.

I had a writer once tell me she was worth $75 an hour because she knew how to
make styles in FrameMaker. Well, maybe to one client she was - but no company I
know would pay that kind of rate for a tech writer (even with a margin) whos
only claim to fame was making styles in Frame. Four months later when she
couldn't get a job, she called me back and was down to $45 an hour. But by then
the opportunity was gone.

Had this person just dropped her rate to $50 or so an hour, I could have made
the deal and she could have been living comfortably. Moreover, she could have
gotten in there, kicked ass and showed her stuff, and then asked for a raise.
The client probably would have granted her a raise, if she could demonstrate
her capabilities.

But noooooo, she was obstinate that she deserved $75 an hour. For her
obstinence, she got nothing and another writer got the job and fed his family.
While she was standing tall before her principles, the rest of use gobble up
the jobs and live well. $50 an hour is pretty damn good money if you work
consistently.

> When is voicing an opinion, whether or not it's calling someone greedy
> (based on past experiences with said person) suddenly libelous?

Sigh. Let me reiterate. There is a HUGE difference between saying:

"I think recruiting is a slimy business."

or

"I think Andrew Plato is a slimy business person."

Now, if you can't discern the difference, then you have bigger problems than
greedy recruiters taking your money.

Andrew "Slimy" Plato

Recommended by doctors who chew guns: http://members.home.com/aplato

http://mail.yahoo.com/