RE: HTML help: HTML editors

Subject: RE: HTML help: HTML editors
From: "Jason Willebeek-LeMair" <jlemair -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "'Cheri E. Kelln'" <tekgrrrl -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 07:45:55 -0500

Cheri,

I use several HTML editors daily (FrontPage, Homesite, and good ol'
Notepad). I must confess, I like FrontPage 2000. As far as I am concerned,
there is nothing better for ripping out a quick project web site. It also
meets your requirements (except, possibly, #5).

On the other hand, Homesite has these neat-o "project views" that make
working with a subset of a large number of files easier by only displaying
the files you choose. Handy when working on a section of a 1000+ file
website. But, the WYSIWYG editing messes with the code (FrontPage behaves
in the 2000 version). But the source view has a bunch of built-in helpers,
such as color coding, tag completion, etc.

Notepad is good for quick fixes and impressing the neighbors. Using vi will
turn you into a deity.

I use all three in conjunction with HTML help. Also, since you mention HTML
help (and HTML Help Workshop), check out FAR (Find and Replace) at
http://www.helpware.net/. It sits on top of HTML Help Workshop and adds
some nice features, like drag-and-drop TOC editing.

Jason