DTD - any info about them

Subject: DTD - any info about them
From: "Deborah Garcia-Tobin" <dgarcia -at- synomics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:11:40 +0100

Hi all

we are moving from FrameMaker to FrameMaker SGML with a view to producing
XML.

However, we know very little about producing a DTD. We have looked at
DocBook and have had various warnings from people about it being too large,
doesn't contain everything you'll need, a nightmare, etc.

What I really want to know is how hard is it to do your own DTD?
It is worth doing your own?
Are there any other commercially available DTDs apart from DocBook (relevant
to software industry)?
Should you use a well know DTD or is your own customized one better?
Any good books that might tell me what I need to know if I write my own?

Thanks in advance for any DTD comments.

Debbie