Consulting Rates and Other Fun Stuff...

Subject: Consulting Rates and Other Fun Stuff...
From: "Patricia Castin (Trish)" <pcastin -at- dset -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L digest <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:31:44 -0500

Am I missing something here? Sounded to me like Michele had already
negotiated the rate with the client, and the consulting firm was trying to
get HER to renegotiate a higher rate so he could get his cut. If the
consulting firm wants to earn its money, it should do the negotiating if
the rate it requires is higher. That's what the cut is for. The agency
(under normal circumstances) takes care of finding the contacts,
negotiating the salary, etc. This agency didn't do any of that for her,
and is now asking her to do the work, and Then wants a cut...

I have never had an objection to an agency getting it's rate and me getting
mine. (I know. "How big of me"...) However, in this case, it *appears* that the agency is trying to get money for work they didn't do. A 30% - 40 % cut can be considered standard
if the agency does the work. If the consultant does the leg work, they
aren't entitled to more than covering their costs, with a bit of
profit. No *huge chunks* for no work... Some of the more reputable
consulting firms I have worked for charged about 35% when They did the
work, and about 20% when I did...

Trish Castin
Project Lead/Sr. Technical Writer
DSET Corporation
908-526-7500 ext. 1333

"Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier 'n puttin' it back in."