Converting large volume of Word documents to HTML

Subject: Converting large volume of Word documents to HTML
From: Terry_Monaghan -at- idx -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 16:28:33 -0700

To: TECHWR-L
Hello - I searched the archive for the last couple of months, and don't find
this question. I apologize in advance if it's been covered previously.

We are in the process of developing a plan to
convert a large volume of Word documentation (altogether it's about 20,000
pages) to HTML. Our original thought was to use RoboHTML 2000, primarily because
all
of the writers here have been using classic RoboHelp, so the learning curve, and
the expense, would be minimal. As we're getting further into it, we're seeing a
lot of the bugs/"features" of RoboHTML that might cause problems and/or
headaches down the road.

My question is whether any of you have gone through
this conversion process, and if you might have some words of wisdom, or maybe a
horror story, that you can share with me. We need to make a decision soon. If
there is a better tool out there that could do the same thing for us, we might
be able to squeeze the money out, but we don't know of any that would be better.
One requirement we have is that there must be some way for the reader to print
out topics/books/sections, or at the very least a way for us to convert the HTML
documents back to Word or pdf.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Terry Monaghan