Re: 1099 -- What to ask?

Subject: Re: 1099 -- What to ask?
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 14:36:56 -0700

> "Johnny Brown" wrote ...
>
> > I'm finally ready to move from a W2 to a 1099. However, with W2s the work is
> > pretty much scoped out and you don't have to worry about taxes.
> >
> > Does anyone have any advice for working as a 1099 employee and how to
> > accurately scope the work, so that I don't get burned in the process? Are
> > there things I should ask an employer; are there things I should ask myself;
> > are there things I should ask an accountant; should I pack it in and go home!

and Andrew Plato replied:

> What you need to ask yourself is a simple question. What is more important to
> you: time, money, or freedom?
>
> If time is more important: get a full-time job with a company.
> If money is more important: contract with agencies.
> If freedom is more important: 1099 freelance.

<supporting arguments snipped>

I've been a captive, a 1099, a contractor on a W2 to an agency, on a
company-to-company arrangement directly with clients, and on a company-to-company
basis with an agency. I think that pretty much covers the spectrum. In my
opinion...

<------------ what Andrew said

is about the most succinct summary of the options I've seen on this board in a
while. As he pointed out, there are tradeoffs for each position. We happen to
like money a lot, and while we could spend the time and money marketing our
company, we get our best deals letting a couple of select agencies do our marketing
for us. We don't begrudge them their cut one little bit!

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems