Re: multilingual manuals
Can anybody recommend any books/articles that discuss what to consider when
doing manuals with more than one language? Thanks.
Check out the following resources:
* Scriptorium (www.scriptorium.com) maintains a section of "resources for writers" that you should check out; download the white paper "The Translation-Friendly Template" from www.scriptorium/localize.pdf (even though it's written with FrameMaker in mind, many of the same issues apply)
* Multilingual Computing & Technology (www.multilingual.com) is a publication that you might want to subscribe to; also take a look at their article "Views on Global Desktop Publishing"
* Multilingual Webmaster (www.multilingualwebmaster.com) doesn't deal with print publications, per se, but some of the same issues affect print and web
* Steve Schwedland with Noonetime published a great paper called "Asian Publishing in FrameMaker 5.5.6.pdf" that deals with many fundamental layout issues and addresses the use of Trados Workbench and S-Tagger; email him at mailto:steve -at- noonetime -dot- com
* the "resources" section of ForeignExchange Translations' web site, www.fxtrans.com, contains a number of white papers
Andres Heuberger <andresh -at- fxtrans -dot- com>
ForeignExchange Translations, Inc.
Tel. 401.454.0787 http://www.fxtrans.com
From print to web in 32 languages.
Visit TechWhirl's Other Sites